CMS-Detroit Spring Newsletter
Rock Camp flyer
AMP Camp flyer
Spring 2014: CMS-D in the News....
A series of recent press articles about the impact of music on our community -- give us reason to shout from the rooftops. Please read and share!
Embracing Detroit music as economic, cultural force
Jazz mentoring hitting the right notes in Midtown (this one is about us, CMS-Detroit!)
Music is missing link in Detroit recovery
Study puts value of Detroit music industry at $1 billion
INTRODUCE MORE KIDS TO MUSIC -- GET COOL SWAG!
This month, we're looking for additional wind, brass, string and guitar students in the
5th-12th grades. YOU can help CMS-D by participating in our "Enroll a Friend"
Contest. Here are the rules:
- Any CMS-D student, family or faculty member can participate.
- Once your friend, our brand new student, is fully registered -- you both receive a free MSU CMS-D, green and white, string tote bag!
- To thank you for making the introduction, you (the current student/faculty
member) will be entered to win a free iPad Mini!
- The drawing will take place
on February 8, 2014. The winner will be notified by phone and/or email, and posted on our
Facebook page: "CMS-Detroit."
- Once your friend is enrolled, submit a Raffle Form (downloadable here or
available in the music office) to the registrar.
- You receive an entry for EVERY new student enrolled, thereby increasing your odds of winning!
- Questions? Email email@example.com or call (313) 578-9716.
NEW ADULT CLASS -- BASIC MUSIC THEORY
Just beginning to study an instrument? Have you been playing or singing for years, but aren't comfortable with musical notation? Want to learn more
about how music is organized? This class is for you!
No previous theory training required. Topics include: treble & bass clefs,
accidentals, half & whole steps, major and minor scales, writing &
identifying major key signatures, major & minor triads, rhythm & meter, ear
training, sight singing.
Basic Music Theory is be taught by New Horizons Band Director Ed Quick on
Tuesdays (Jan. 21 through May 6) from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Tuition is $100
(please note - financial assistance is not available for this class).
Angels we have heard on high.... CMS-Detroit has an angel out in California. He's a successful Hollywood music executive and an MSU alumnus. He's supporting our programs with a $5,000 challenge grant. You can give at ANY level to help us qualify for the grant between now and December 31! Give online here -- and please be sure and specify your gift is for the Community Music School Fund number "AE06590." We are very grateful... May your holidays be filled with music!
Did you know... for $250 you can buy a piano key to support CMS-Detroit programs? You'll receive an actual piano key, autographed by a CMS-Detroit student!! Download a "Buy a Key" brochure here.
MSU Today: Making Music, Expanding Minds
PRESS RELEASE: New Programs at CMS-Detroit in 2013
New multi-generational class!
The Community Music School-Detroit Gospel Choir is a diverse group of individuals who love Gospel music, from ages 13 through adults!
We are focused on showering the communities of Detroit and beyond with the inspirational, soulful and uplifting sounds of Gospel music! We sing various genres and styles, ranging from contemporary Gospel and Christian music to Negro spirituals, hymns, and anthems. Our main goal is to be "a light within our city" providing excellent music with brightness and enthusiasm. Bring your voice and a smile!
A small audition of any Gospel/Christian song is required for vocal section placement as well as a simple "testing of the ear," which includes clapping/singing a melody or rhythm back that is played, sang or clapped to you. Some choreography (clapping and rocking simultaneously) may be required. Let's sing the lyrics that uplift our spirits!
We know you LOVE flyers. Who doesn't? Share our flyers with the world!
Are you making summer plans? Well, join us for one of our fab music camps! Here's a flyer for you to share.
The CMS-Detroit Spring Newsletter is here! Download a copy and share our stories by clicking here.
Michigan Night Light Program Profile: Aspiring Musicians Program
Michigan Night Light Leadership Profile: Rhonda Buckley
$5,000 Craig Murray Challenge Grant!! Give before Dec. 31 and your gift will be MATCHED! Make a secure online gift by clicking here.
Read about how music teaches youth essential Life Skills. It's a competitive world out there -- and kids who play music have a distinct edge.
Start of Fall Classes Press Release!
To view our 2012 Annual Report click here.
Free Community Open House- On September 8, please join us for our free Open House from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Visitors can tour the school, enjoy live music and refreshments, meet the faculty and register for classes.
- Early Childhood Meet & Greet: 11 a.m. to 11:45 a.m., Room 219.
- Adult Programs Meet & Greet: 11 a.m. to 11:45 a.m., Multi-Purpose Room, 1st floor.
- Aspiring Musician Program Orientation (youth ages 9 – 15): 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., Multi-Purpose Room, 1st floor.
Fall classes begin September 11, 12 and 15.
- Online registration begins August 14.
- In-office registration begins August 21 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Need a flyer about CMS-Detroit summer music camps to share or post? Download one by clicking here.
- Youth News Network (YNN) reported on MSU Jazz@CMS-Detroit this spring. The story and interviews with CMS-D faculty can be seen here. Good job students!!
- Remember how much fun we had at AMP Camp last year? Check out the video on YouTube by clicking here.
- Read CMS-Detroit's Spring Newsletter by clicking here!
- AMP student drummers enjoyed a special meet-and-greet with the Pistons official Drum Line on April 19 at The Palace. The kids attended the game as guests of Pistons guard Rodney Stuckey. A great time was had by all!
- $5,000 Challenge Grant! -- A very generous and long-time friend to the MSU College of Music has presented CMS-Detroit with a wonderful gift! Craig Murray, a charter member of the College's National Leadership Council, is deeply inspired by the work MSU faculty and mentors are doing to provide music education and therapy in the Detroit community. Between now and December 31, 2011, Craig will match contributions made in support of CMS-Detroit, until gifts received reach $5,000. To help us reach this goal click here!!!!
- Read more about the Craig Murray Challenge Grant by clicking here!
- CMS-Detroit is a member of the recently launched Music Learning Alliance (MLA), a consortium of music education providers in Southeast Michigan. The mission of the group is to increase access to and awareness about music lessons for children in our region, as well as the educational and developmental benefits of music study.
- For a downloadable registration packet for fall classes at CMS-Detroit click here. Applications for tuition assistance must be submitted in person to the Detroit office.
*Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to read PDF documents.